NID COACHING CENTRE
New Batch For
Nata Coaching Classes Commencing soon in Chennai and Hyderabad. Hurry Up. Limited Seats.
National institute of Design (NID) is a prestigious institute of national importance.
Before we go on about the courses offered by this university, lets get our “W” questions answered.
What is it all about?
It is a national institution for design education at the graduate and post graduate levels.
- It happens to be the best design school in India.
- It ranks as the 30th best design institute in the whole world.
- NID is the only design Institute to have been credited with Integrated Design Services (Consultancy), Outreach programs & Industry Online programs.
Where is it?
NID has campuses in
- Ahmedabad (heritage campus)
What does it offer?
National institute of design offers educational courses at graduate and post graduate levels with 5 faculty streams and 20 diverse design domains.
Will I be eligible?
For the graduation program
- Applying candidate can be upto 20 years of age but not above that.
- Should have passed 10+2 with a minimum percentage of 50% from a recognized university or government recognized institution.
- Candidate can belong to any stream.
For the post-graduation program
- Applying candidate can be upto 30 years of age but not above that.
- Must have a graduate degree in any discipline with the 10+2+4 system from any university or institution recognized by law in India.
Now how about getting our “H” questions answered?
How can I get in?
NID conducts an entrance exam in which you will have to perform exceptionally well.
When you clear the NID DAT (the written exam), you will be eligible to give the NID studio test.
How difficult is the exam?
On a scale of one to ten of difficulty, I’d say this exam is an 8.
So definitely do not be under the common misconception that, ” It’s just a design exam! How hard can it be? “because it is no piece of cake.
How many months of practice do I need?
You might need around 4 to 6 months to completely understand the syllabus and have enough practice.
How many attempts can I make?
You can make as many annual attempts as possible until you cross your upper age limit. The NID DAT is conducted once every year (usually in the month of January).
How can I do amazingly well in the studio test?
Well, we have a separate page dedicated entirely to the NID studio test. Be sure to check it out and cleanse all the doubts in your head.
BACHELORS IN DESIGN
- Duration: 4 years
- Total Number of Seats: 100 seats
- Reservations set as per the govt of India: (OBC/NCL: 27%: Scheduled Cast: 15 %: Scheduled Tribe: 7.5%)
- Disciplines offered: Industrial Design, Communication Design, Textile, Apparel & Accessories Design
- Campus: Ahmadabad, Gujarat
Faculty of Industrial Design
- Ceramic & Glass Design (10 seats)
This program at NID takes inspiration from both art and craft traditions of the country. The glass and ceramic design program gives extensive exposure toward studio-based practice and teaches the students an extremely diverse range of production techniques.
- Furniture Design (10 seats)
The program aims to educate designers to handle all aspects of furniture design as one integrated user centric area of study. The furniture discipline encourages students to develop a strong foundation of the basics, which facilitates anticipation of the future. If you’ve dreamt of making your own kind of chair or table, then this is most definitely your cup of tea.
- Product Design (15 seats)
Product design is concerned primarily with the relationship between products, systems and those who use them.
Product design in NID can be broadly classified into:
- Design for Industry
- Design for quality of Life
- Design for health care
- Design for social impact
- Design for sustainability
- Design led futures
Faculty of Communication Design
- Animation Film Design (15 seats)
The objective of the program is to enable students to find solutions to complex problems in various fields of communication design using animation film making as a creative medium.
- Exhibition Design (10 seats)
Exhibition Design is a synthesis of multiple design disciplines that come together to communicate objects, information and ideas across a range of three–dimensional environments.
- Film & Video communication (10 seats)
The primary aim of Film & Video communication program is to train versatile design informed communicators, fluent in conception and production of short films on a range of educational, cultural, social, entertainment and marketing communication needs.
- Graphic Design (15 seats)
This program prepares students to take on all the new context challenges and technological advancements in the field of visual Communication and especially in the Graphic Design domain.
Faculty of Textile, Apparel & Life style Accessories Design
The textile design programme strives to develop innovative and synergetic approaches to design for diverse sectors of the textile industry , markets and the social sector.
GRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAM IN DESIGN
The four-year-long Graduate Diploma Programme in Design (GDPD) is oﬀered at NID Vijayawada and NID Kurukshetra in the following areas of specialisation:
- Industrial Design
- Communication Design
- Textile & Apparel Design
Duration: 4 years
Campus: Vijayawada (60 seats), Kurukshetra, Haryana ( 60 seats)
Duration: 2.5 years
Campus: Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Gandhinagar
Total number of Seats: 275 seats
Specialisations offered in Ahmadabad campus
Animation film design
Ceramic and glass design
Film & video communication
Specialisations offered in Bengaluru campus
Design for retail experience
Digital game design
Specialisations in Gandhinagar campus
Lifestyle accessories design
Strategic design management
New media design
Toy &game design
Transportation & Automobile design
Am I Eligible???
Applying for Bachelors Degree :
- Age Limit: Candidates up to 20 years .
- Should have completed with 50% marks or doing 12th standard from a recognized university/ govt recognized institution.
- The candidate can be from any discipline.
Applying for Masters program:
- Age Limit: Candidates up to 30 years of age.
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline under the 10+2+4 system from any university or institute recognized by law in India.
TIME LINES FOR APPLICATIONS /SUBMISSIONS/RESULTS
- Applications open in the month of October
- Written exams for B. Des & M. Des: January
- Results for the NID DAT ( B.Des/M.Des / GDPD) :February
- 2nd round exams for B.Des /GDPD (Studio Test): May
- 2ndround exams for M.Des (Studio Test): March
- Result declaration for M.Des: May
- Result declaration for B.Des / GDPD: May
Let’s Discuss the Exam Paper
- The question papers for Bachelors in Design, Masters in Design & Graduate Diploma in Product Design consist of Max marks of 100.
- The duration for exam consists of 3 hours.
- The question paper can be divided in to two sections consisting of
- Creative ability type questions and
- General ability type questions.
- NID emphasises on student’s skills sets which include:
- sketching skills,
- clarity in concept,
- problem solving skills,
- Understanding ratios,
- Subjects in general ability consist of:
- Quantitative ability,
- analytical skills,
- English comprehension,
- General knowledge and
- General awareness.
All of the above mentioned is only applicable for the written exam. Once you qualify the DAT, you will be eligible to give the studio test.
The whole studio test concept can be quite overwhelming to a person who has never even heard of it. Well, worry not because we’ve got your back.
We have another post dedicated completely to the NID studio test. Be sure to check it out!
Best of luck!
Want more tips?
© 2018 MAD SCHOOL. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.