Architecture: Things to know when considering this Profession
How do you know if architecture is the right fit for you? Check out our suggestions mentioned below for an informed opinion.
What is Architecture? What are some reflective indicators that I would enjoy the profession?
Okay, According to Dictionary of Architecture and Construction “Architecture is defined as the art and science of designing and building structures in keeping with aesthetic and functional criteria”. Well, to be honest this definition did take some time to reflect in me what the definition of Architecture is. The definition did introduce me to 2 un-familiar words. The words were Aesthetic and Functional. The next step was to figure out along with my “Google” friend the meaning those words that represent with context to Architecture. The word Aesthetic here refers to nature and expression of beauty and taste, in other words the appearance of things. Functional criteria refer to spaces made for specific purpose with priority.
Architecture can also be defined as triumph of Human Imagination over materials and methods. It is also a form of storytelling where untapped source of magnificent stories waiting to be imagined build and visualized.
What are some of the indicators that you would enjoy this profession?
- Do you like making things?
- Do you have an interest of putting things together?
- Does playing with different ways and organizing things a habit for you?
- Does playing with building blocks interest you?
- Do you possess the habit of tinkering with objects?
A great way to do is to ask yourself this question. Do you enjoy solving an array of issues and problems that impact the world around you for the better?
Who is an architect? What are his roles and responsibilities?
A common reply for this question is An Architect is someone who Designs buildings. But can we define an architect in such a closed definition? In a nut shell an Architect is someone who solves problems and helps a community or world at large build ecosystems which improve the living standards of human beings. He is responsible from the ideation stages till the execution of a project. He plays a big role in every stages of the work that includes identifying the right contractors /engineers for the client, taking necessary external and internal approvals, scrutinizing the work order etc. But his responsibilities do not stop there. He is also responsible for the building style, safety and sustainability towards ensuring to meet the needs of its occupants as well as requirements of state regulators.
Some of the responsibilities and roles includes:-
- Design, plan and Development: This is an integral task in an architect’s daily routine. Architects provide pre design figures such as environmental impact, cost analysis and land use study. Final construction plans are created by architects and used by builders as a step by step on how the look and details of the building will pan out which includes plumbing, communication and heating systems, electrical and ventilation systems
- Customer service and retention: – An architect always consults several times with their clients before a final draft is made so as to learn their objectives, budget and any specific requirements for their project. An architect also works with professionals such as Engineers, urban planners, construction representatives, interior designers etc. An architect should have excellent oral and written skills since he deals with both customers and professionals directly.
- Through research and knowledge: One of the most important attitudes in an architect is openness for learning. Architects must be aware of the abled and disabled laws pertaining towards building codes, fire regulations, zoning laws, city ordinances etc. Since these laws changes regularly architects needs to be updated on the same. They should also be in a position to suggest latest energy efficient products and building styles.
- Application of technology:-Technology is leading the way for current forms of functions in the area of architecture. From computer aided drafting systems to AI and Data oriented applications, technology is used in each and every step in architecture to make the structure and design more efficient, functional and cost effective. Architect should also possess several basic application software knowledge such as word processing, spread sheets accounting and basic office software.
What is the minimum Eligibility to become an Architect in India? What are the skillsets I need to grow in this field?
To become an architect in India requires a minimum of 5 year professional study. The study awards a professional degree called Bachelors in Architecture. Selection of students for the said discipline is through an all India exam conducted by Council of Architects and National testing agency every year. The candidate will have the chance of appearing 2 times in a year. The best of the scores would be initiated for the admission process. Eligibility towards these exams require Maths, chemistry and Physics as main subjects followed by a minimum percentage of 50% as an aggregate and overall in IP exams towards securing a seat along with clearing the NATA/ JEE2. Seats are allocated though centre and state wide counselling. Exams are held in Jan, April and July every year. Eligibility towards individual practice requires a licence and henceforth obtained by passing an exam conducted by the Council of Architecture, regulatory body for Architects in India. Any practice unlicensed shall entitle the encumbatent ending up in jail and debarring him permanently from the council and profession.
Some of the top 10 B.Arch. colleges in India include
- School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Kharagpur
- Sir J. J. College Of Architecture, Mumbai
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Chandigarh College Of Architecture, Chandigarh
- Jamia Milia Islamia University
- National Institute Of Technology, Tiruchirapalli
- Center for Environmental Planning and Technology University, Ahmedabad
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
The skillsets required are : Creative Problem solving, Eye for detail, Critical thinking, Team work, Observation skills, curiosity, Empathetic thinking , Understanding customers, Leadership, professional Integrity are some of the skills that you would require to nurture and develop .
What is the scope for Architecture in India? What are the kinds of jobs available in this field?
Many parents and students have asked me this question on the scope for Architecture in India. I was at loss on all these years trying to help them understand till I discovered the real underlying meaning of what they had asked. ‘Scope’ as I understood in a parental context is referred to the Package or salary expected after the 5 year study.
Architecture as a discipline in any country to begin with depends on the real estate industry. Architecture is the second largest industry in India. In India there are an approximate 75000 registered architects and the requirement is for 6 lakhs in the next 5 years. Architecture offers diverse fields of engagements. Off shoots include interior design, product design, design specialists (lighting, materials) etc. Some of the projects he would be involved in would be in the areas of Residential projects, Contractual projects, Consultation, Restoration projects, Arbitration. There are lots of demand in both Private and Government sectors. Most of the demands comes up in government sectors that include public works departments, Archaeological department, Ministry of defence, National building organization , National Institute of Urban affairs, departments of Railways, Housing and urban development corporation etc. The percentage of male vs. female in this industry is 57: 43 ratio.
Some of the Job profile in Architecture is as below
Architecture Job profiles include:-
Data Analyst, Architecture designer, Architecture Engineer, Architecture draftsman, Project assistant manager, Architectural Historian / Journalist, Art Director, Building contractor, Landscape artist
This field is not for people who expect a heavy pay package initially soon out of college. The pay increases as per the projects and experience you imbibe as you go along. An average pay package will be between 25000-30,000. The registered growth expected is within 2 years for any a person. A person with an average experience of 5 years tends to draw between 50,000-60,000 in a month.
Some of the top architectural firms in India
- Architect Hafeez Contractor
- Sanon Sen & Associates (S&S)
- SPAN Consultants Private Limited
- C. P. Kukreja Associates
- Oscar &Ponni Architects
- Kembhavi Architecture foundation
- Shilpa Architects
- Prem Nath & Associates
- SEMAC Private Limited
- OCI Architects
Some of the Major high paying private players in design and construction sector in India
- EROS GROUP
- GAMMON INDIA
- AEON CONSTRUCTIONS INDIA
We hope that the above mentioned information have provided you a bird’s eye view about the Architecture industry.
If you decide to take Architecture as your career, you need to start off with taking NATA exam or Architecture entrance exam conducted all over India to screen out the best candidates. Like you know, the competition is getting heavy with each passing year. If you are looking for extra assistance in preparing for NATA Exam, you can join our NATA Coaching Classes in Chennai and Hyderabad.